Day 3 – 10 things that make you happy
Today hasn’t been a great day so I’m pleased about this challenge because I need it. I need to think about the little things that make everything worth it.
- Beautiful books and bookshelves; nothing is quite so satisfying as some beautiful books well presented on some lovely hardwood bookshelves. It’s one of the best parts of being in a bookshop because even if you’re not in to get something, you can always appreciate being surrounded by such comforts. Barnes & Nobles leather-bound classics will always have a special place in my heart.
- Happy people; not smug people but genuinely happy people. I love seeing people wandering about, getting on with their day but who also take that extra effort to remember to smile and share a nice word with another person. The world needs so much more of that. It’s so refreshing to know that the world isn’t always so dark, that there is good in places if you know where to look.
- Neatly coloured in mosaics; it’s such great way to destress yourself. Get some nice fine-tipped pens, some Johanna Basford colouring sheets and a quiet space. My project each year is to colour in the Johanna Basford calendars, which have a colouring sheet for each day of the year. One year I’ll manage to complete a whole set.
- Cat’s paws; they are always so soft and is there anything cuter than those little squishy toe beans? I should think not. It’s worth the risk of being seriously maimed just to touch them.
- Autumn; it’s my favourite time of the year. It’s cold (I’m not a warm weather kind of person) and it’s time to get cosy with some sweaters, comfy scarves and thick socks. It is perfect cuddling weather, and it’s perfect weather to curl up with a blanket and a book and forget everything outside of your little cocoon.
- Singing loud and unabashedly; it doesn’t matter what it is, what your tastes are or whether others like your music taste, finding the chance to listen to your favourite music and sing at the top of your lungs like no one can hear you makes my heart happy. I love singing, I might not be very good and it but I love to sing regardless. Belting out songs from Wicked trumps a lot of things in life.
- Writing; I’m happiest when I’m doing one of two things. Reading and writing. Of course, I love reading (this blog wouldn’t exist if I didn’t) but I also love to write. I’m happiest writing creative fiction and my ultimate goal in life is to write and publish books. This 30-day challenge is a start to try and push me to write more so I can make a start on that first big story.
- Pens and stationery, arts and crafts; I love cutting and sticking things, making things with my hands is something that I’m good at. I’m always keen for a new hobby and I’m always game to spend an afternoon in Hobbycraft or a similar store. I have more stationary and pads than I know what to do with, but I always seem to accumulate more.
- Animals; I know I already have squishy cat paws on my list but they definitely deserve a category all to themselves. I love animals, having pets, seeing animals, petting them. It just gives me so much joy. Magnus (as in Magnus Bane) and Odin are my fur babies. Odin is an old moggie who loves to snooze and Magnus is a sneaky little Syrian hamster.
- My fiance; there is so much I could say about him that makes me happy. He is so supportive of everything that I do. I love him. His face makes me happy. (He’s also such a nerd like I got him the Lego Saturn V as an engagement present and he was pleased as pie and if that doesn’t just make me happy then I don’t know what else does).
I think this post should be a regular post, something to think about more often. Find the light in the dark, and embrace it.
See you tomorrow for day!